Monday, April 30, 2012

Homemade Granola {Food Storage Recipe!}

I don't know about you, but this whole economy thing has been kinda sorta freaking me out. I've been trying to be a lot more frugal with things, and especially trying to learn how to cook with our food storage basics (wheat, oats, beans, etc.) so I don't have to be trying to learn when things get tough, I'm under a lot of stress and don't know what the heck I'm doing. I also figure that if I learn to cook with what I have in food storage now, my kids won't be all picky about it later.

So, ANYWAYYYYY...I decided to make homemade granola recently. I have to say, it turned out AMAZING! Granola can be really expensive! At Safeway it's around $4 a box. A little box at that. I made about 7 cups of it for around $1. No joke. And it tasted SOOOO much better than the store bought granola with all sorts of random preservatives and who knows what in it! Now, aren't you just dying for the recipe? :)


HEEEERE YOU GO!




Honey Coconut Granola


4 C. rolled oats
1 C. whole wheat flour (you can use white, too...)
3/4 C. honey OR
1 cup maple syrup  (It just gives it more of a maple-ish flavor)
1 C. coconut
1/4 C. cooking oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C. chopped pecans (optional)


Thoroughly mix together. Spread on a cookie sheet, bake at 300 degrees for 25 minutes stirring occasionally while baking.


You can also add things like sesame seeds, cinnamon, chopped almonds, raisins, etc. but add the raisins AFTER you bake it or it'll be like eating raisin flavored rocks. And we ALL know that eating raisin flavored rocks is no fun.


The best part is that granola is so versatile! It's not just for breakfast. You can put in on parfaits or use it as an ice cream topping! You can even use it as cobbler topping in your dutch ovens. Man, I love this stuff. Oh man. I'm starving. I think I'll go have a snack, and I'll bet you can't guess what it is. :)


ENJOY, my sweet little granola munchers!


No comments:

Post a Comment